Filed under: Action, Featured, Incarceration, US
Tomorrow, prisoners across the state of Florida plan to launch a work strike against prison slavery, high canteen prices, and to fully return parole – among other demands. For an overview of the strike, statements made by the prisoners themselves about why they are striking, and a list of solidarity events, go here.
1. Attend and/or organize solidarity demos. At the moment there are several planned across the state on Jan 15 and 16. Details here (in the ‘about’ section). And there are well over a hundred other locations relevant to the FL DOC, where even small demonstrations will add to the pressure over the coming weeks. And for those not in FL, all of these facilities and admin offices have phone numbers. This can all be found here.
2. Ask organizations you are part of to join the growing list of supporters, at the time of writing this there are 60, and its growing quickly.
3. Use your networks to amplify news of the strike via social media, letters to the editors, etc. A simple search of Operation PUSH Florida prisons brings you to dozens of articles, radio shows, etc. that can be shared.
4. Write to a prisoner, remind them they are not forgotten by the world outside the walls. The names of several prisoners who have been active inside the FL DOC can be found here. But they get moved around a lot, so check here for their most current address.
5. Make financial donations to support strike solidarity. We are still collecting them via this crowdfunding page. These funds are being handled by members of Gainesville IWOC and Fight Toxic Prisons. If you prefer to donate by check or cash, or would like a tax deductible option, let us know: [email protected]
301 total views, 2 views today