Filed under: Action, Community Organizing, Disaster, Southeast
1,230 total views, 22 views today
Announcement of of new initiative in response to coronavirus outbreak in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
Based on projections, we expect that the new coronavirus will have a severe impact on people in Atlanta. Before long, everyone will know someone personally who’s impacted by the pandemic, and institutions will not be able to keep up with the need for aid. Official support will not be available to everyone, particularly those already marginalized and unprivileged.
Time is short, we need to act now to organize ourselves to care for our communities. While the most immediate needs are for medical care, most of us are not medical experts. But everyone can support each other by caring for other vital needs.
— Food4Life (@Food4LifeAtl) March 13, 2020
No matter how you’re affected by the pandemic, the Food4Life program exists to help everyone survive.
– Are already self-isolating because their age and/or medical conditions put them in serious danger if they contract the virus.
– Can’t afford expensive grocery delivery services must either risk exposure or go hungry.
– Are sick and cannot leave home for fear of infecting others.
– Can’t afford groceries because of lost work or structural poverty
– Live in a food desert. Lack of access to healthy food weakens the immune system, putting everyone in greater danger.
If you are in the #Atlanta area and want to get involved in a #mutualaid survival program making a real difference as schools are closed and many folks are in need of support – follow and support @Food4LifeAtl. https://t.co/fLpznbGJZk
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) March 13, 2020
The program is straightforward in practice:
– Bulk food is donated by charities, grocery stores, community groups, and farmers.
– Volunteers are provided with protective equipment and training for preventing the spread of contagions.
– Organizers dispatch volunteers to make deliveries on a schedule, and handle logistics.
– Grocery drop-offs are made directly outside the homes of people in need, avoiding direct contact.
It will take an army of volunteers to meet the need, so we’re calling on anyone who’s able to sign up to volunteer.
– Food Donations
– Logistical volunteers (to handle volunteer coordination, recruitment, technology, communications, etc)
Sign up to help: https://forms.gle/fgcTJhzijf59gtE27
Request free groceries: https://forms.gle/AQwMLJ9insPxeqmCA