Filed under: Housing, Interviews, Land, Police, Radio/Podcast, Southeast
Long-running anarchist radio and podcast The Final Straw speaks with people involved in resisting homeless sweeps and housing crisis in so-called Asheville, NC.
photo: Asheville Solidarity Network
This week on the show, you’ll hear from Doug, Onion and Papi, three folks involved in the Aston Park Build, a daily event to hold space in Aston Park in downtown Asheville, creating art, sharing food and music and a wider part of organizing here to demand safer space and redistribution of wealth to care for houseless folks and relieve the incredible strains on housing affordability in Asheville. We talk about the park actions, the housing crisis and service industry wage woes, local government coddling of business owners and police repression of folks on the margins.
- “New Report Sounds Alarm on Affordable Housing — Again” by Barbara Durr: https://avlwatchdog.org/new-report-sounds-alarm-on-affordable-housing-again/
- “Housing Activists Protest at Downtown Hotels; Demand Council Deploy Relief Funds for Unhoused Community” by Elliot Patterson and Ursula Wren: https://www.ashevillefreepress.com/housing-activists-protest-at-downtown-hotels-demand-council-use-relief-funds-for-code-purple/
- “Community Art Party Leads to Multi-Day Demonstration Demanding ‘Sanctuary Camp’ at Aston Park” by Ursula Wren: https://www.ashevillefreepress.com/community-art-party-leads-to-sanctuary-camping-demonstration/
Supporting Social Media Accounts:
- Asheville Solidarity Network
- Asheville For Justice: https://ashevilleforjustice.com/
- Asheville Survival Program: https://linktr.ee/avlsurvival