Filed under: Anarchist Movement, Announcement, Incarceration
International call from New York City Anarchist Black Cross (ABC) for noise demonstrations on New Year’s Eve outside of jails, prisons, juvenile halls, and detention centers.
photo: Ash Agony
This is a call for a night of strong solidarity with those imprisoned by the state. Historically, New Year’s Eve is one of the noisiest nights of the year. This year, most of which has been consumed by a global pandemic, we encourage folks to take whatever measures are necessary to insure individual and community well-being, in response to both the virus and the state, understanding the balance each of us must strike for ourselves. Given our current reality, on New Year’s Eve gather your crew, collective, community, organization, or just yourself to raise a racket and remind those on the inside that they are not alone.
Internationally, noise demonstrations outside of prisons are a way to remember those who are held captive by the state and a way to show solidarity with imprisoned comrades and loved ones. We come together to break the loneliness and isolation.
We know that prison is beyond reform and must be completely abolished. It is a mechanism of repression used by the state to maintain a social order rooted in white supremacy, patriarchy, and heteronormativity. To come together outside of the sites of repression is to also stand in defiance of what they represent.
The logic of the state and capital—of punishment and imprisonment, must be replaced by a rejection of oppression and exploitation. This call is one step in that direction.
Wherever you are, meet on New Year’s Eve at the prisons, jails, and detention centers, be loud in solidarity with those imprisoned and to push forward the idea of a world free from domination.
We send this call in solidarity with those defying state repression of large scale dissent: from Iran to ongoing defiance in Chile by those facing repression as anarchists, and all of those in the spaces between.
We want a world without walls and borders.
We will fight together until everyone is free!
Past New Year’s Eve Noise Demo Roundups on IGD:
Upcoming NYE Noise Demos
- Tacoma, WA, 1623 E J Street, 11: 45 PM. More info here.
- Tucson, AZ, 1270 W Silverlake Road, 7PM
- Atlanta, GA, DeKalb County Jail, 7PM
- Central Falls, Rhode Island, 8 PM, Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility, Event Info
- Asheville, NC, Pack Square, 7PM, Event Info
- Durham, NC, Durham Jail, 8 PM
- Norfolk, VA, 6 PM, Norfolk City Jail.
- Cleveland, OH, 7 PM, Justice Center, W Lakeside & W 3rd.
- Dayton, OH, West 3rd Street, Montgomery County Jail, 2 PM. More info here.
- Baltimore, MD, 11: 30 PM, 400 East Eager Street.
- Brooklyn, NY, 9 PM, Metropolitan Detention Center (MDC, the federal prison in Brooklyn); 29th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, Event Info