Filed under: Anarchist Movement, Announcement, Featured
Across so-called North America, anarchists, autonomists, and anti-authoritarians will be taking part in actions, marches, rallies, gatherings, and events in celebration of May 1st and as part of a broader struggle against the current system of domination, exploitation, and control.
On every level, the need for a swift break with the current system of industrial capitalism is needed. From the mounting threat of climate change and the rampant disasters that is it bringing down upon us, the State’s creation of mass “sacrifice zones” from Flint, Michigan to Puerto Rico, the proliferation of mass detention, prison slavery, police killings, and widespread surveillance, the deepening of the housing crisis and gentrification, and the accelerating class war heightened by the rise of the gig economy, AI, and automation technology.
In the face of Trump, which has not been a break with, but simply an authoritarian continuation of, neolilberalism, the “Left,” has shown itself to be largely useless. To tired to even march in circles, it has instead stepped back and allowed the Democrats control over the streets and pushed people away from mass strikes, riots, and class war, and towards elections and deflated goals.
This May Day, as we remember the Haymarket Martyrs and all those who struggle and fight for emancipation and freedom, let us also remember the struggles that have happened all around us to build autonomy and power in the face of daily life. From the mass strikes and wildcats across the county, to pipeline blockades and defense of Native land, both small to mass actions against the far-Right, to strikes and occupations against the deportation machine, police, prisons, and much more.
What follows is a list of May Day events we have found so far. Be sure to email us with yours at info [at] itsgoingdown [dot] org.
Past May Day Coverage
- 2016: Mobilization, Intervention, and Solidarity
- 2017: Wage Slaves Revolt: May Day Across the World
- 2018: May Day and the Road Ahead: An Analysis & May Day 2018: Resistance Across North America
- Portland, Oregon: #BlockTheWall mobilization. More info here. Portland students also organizing walk-outs.
— OCCUPY ICE PDX (@OccupyICEPDX) April 21, 2019
Portland metro area students are walking out at 12pm, and meeting up at Elizibeth Caruthers Park at 1pm to protest for immigrant rights.#StudentStrike2019 #BlockTheWallPDX #AbolishICE pic.twitter.com/AEYdIh5Ex3
— PNW Youth Liberation Front (@PNWYLF) April 15, 2019
- Albuquerque, New Mexico: March and rally. Event info here.
- Oakland, California: Rally at Oscar Grant Plaza. Event info here. Mass march. Event info here.
— Autonomy Tucson (@autonomytucson) April 23, 2019
- Santa Ana, California: Mass march. Event info here.
- Tucson, Arizona: Benefit event. Event info here.
- Madison, Wisconsin: IWW to march in mass “Day without an Immigrant” march. More info here.
- Twin Cities, Minnestoa: Call for a decentralized May Day. More info here.
May Day Is (Y)Ours
— Conflict Minnesota (@conflictMN) April 15, 2019
- Cleveland, Ohio: Facebook event here.
- Ypsilanti, Michigan: Facebook event here.
- Omaha, Nebraska: Event info here.
- Kalamazoo, Michigan: A Day Without Immigrants. Event info here.
We’re helping organize a mass march to the boss/landlord this May Day on the south side of Chicago with unions and community groups to take on University of Chicagohttps://t.co/xjAxd0CEgJ pic.twitter.com/5cbsTqAtqJ
— Tenants United Hyde Park/Woodlawn (@TenantsUnitedHP) April 21, 2019
- Detroit, Michigan: Event info here.
- Chicago, Illinois: March on landlord and boss. Event info here.
- Chicago, Illinois. IWW benefit event. More info here.
Hey Chicago, confused about what to do once you leave the streets on May Day? Come kick it with us @burlingtonbar for a comp release and benefit for our strike fund.
— Greater Chicago IWW (@Chicago_IWW) April 21, 2019
- Miami, Florida: Facebook event here.
- Durham, North Carolina: Facebook event here.
- Asheville, NC:Fire on me. Facebook event here.
View this post on Instagram
Reposted from @acab.2019 – Please join us in celebrating May Day in West AVL! Park in the Ingles parking lot. Parade on bikes and with a marching band! Bring flags and banners some bikes will be provided. The parade ends at the gas station accross from standard pizza where we will have a potluck, please bring a dish (vegan and gluten free encouraged) and fun outdoor activities. Finally we will screen 9to5 in celebration of Spring and CLASS REVOLT! ? #mayday #asheville #ashevillenc #classrevolt #solstice
- Richmond, Virginia: Event info here.
Come celebrate International Worker’s Day with us and fight back against Environmental Racism. There will be food, activities, speakers, and the ability to connect with numerous organizations and projects developing in Richmond. Hope to see you there! pic.twitter.com/ycDzOyf6lG
— Richmond IWW (@RichmondIWW) April 18, 2019
- Atlanta, Georgia: May Day celebration. Event info here.
— Atlanta IWW (@IWWatl) April 18, 2019
A few NYC #MayDay2019 actions and events we'll be supporting or encourage you to check out. For Brandworkers' May Day fundraising, check out their Facebook page or @brandworkers to support rank-and-file radical workers' organizing. pic.twitter.com/1QJIHT7wWF
— MACC NYC (@macc_nyc) April 29, 2019
- New York, NY: Student walkout outside of New School.
- Brooklyn, New York: May Day noise demonstration against prisons. Facebook event here.
— RevAbolitionNYC (@RevAbolitionNYC) April 21, 2019
- New York, New York: IWW May Day fundraiser. More info here.
Raise a glass with your comrades to celebrate the thousands of workers who've come before us and those who are organizing today! ?
— IWW NYC (@iwwnyc) April 20, 2019
- New York, New York: May Day in Tompkins Square Park. More info here.
— POP Gym (@popgymbk) April 22, 2019
- Hartford, CT: May Day rally and gathering. Event info here.
- Portland, Maine: Local IWW branch is hosting a benefit for No More Deaths. Event info here.
Join us at Local Sprouts Café in Portland with @MaineWorkers to fundraise for @NoMoreDeaths on Internation Workers Day! Please visit https://t.co/tI8GUoCWkg for more info about the event or donate directly at https://t.co/pZuoyrAplh and let them know we sent you! ✊?✊?✊? pic.twitter.com/UIEb1ZO2G8
— Southern “Chinga la Migra” Maine IWW (@Maine_IWW) April 19, 2019
So-Called Canadian Territories
- Vancouver, British Columbia:
? May Day is fast approaching! Exciting stuff will be happening here in Vancouver, so make sure to get to West Georgia and Richards at 5:30pm. If you’re interested in taking part in a direct action before the rally begins, email us at [email protected] ? pic.twitter.com/Hd7AKrXSsb
— Vancouver IWW (@vancouveriww) April 19, 2019
- Kingston, Ontario: More info here.
- Toronto, Ontario: More info here.
- Hamilton, Ontario: More info here.
- Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario: More info here.
- Winnipeg, Manitoba: More info at flyer below.