Mastodon Twitter Instagram Youtube
Oct 13, 17

Phone Blast for Joy Powell

Joy Powell, who was railroaded by the Rochester police for her community activism, has endured terrible treatment and conditions since being imprisoned. According to her support website and the letters we got from her, she has suffered racism, sexual harassment, Islamophobia, unsanitary conditions, and from a lack of basic hygiene supplies. Our solidarity crew is furious at her mistreatment, but not surprised. We came up with this sample script to use when we flood Bedford Hills Correctional Facility phone lines this coming Monday, October 16th.


“Hello, my name is so-and-so and I”m a resident of (name your state). I am calling out of concern for Reverend Joy Powell and fellow inmates. It has come to my attention that the prison unit’s dilapidated state is causing health risks for the inmates. Especially the showers, which are contaminated with thousands of black worms and flies. There’s no ventilation and the walls are full of black mold. Please act to the improvement of these conditions which are currently unlivable.”

It’s just a sample, feel free to share your own message with her captors, but we ask that you keep her wellbeing in mind. The phone number of the prison she’s at is (914) 241-3100.  

Her support site also asks for people to call the higher-ups at the NY state at (518) 457-8134.  We’ve taken the extra step of finding the contact info for the NY department of health, an agency which in theory is supposed to prevent these kinds of inhumane conditions.  Reach them by phone at 518-459-6422 or 1-866-881-2809 or by email at [email protected]

Also please please take some time to write to Joy and share your love and rage with her. These actions can and will make a positive difference for her and other prisoners. Let’s not let them get away with treating us like this.


Reverend Joy Powell 07G0632
Bedford Hills Correctional Facility
P.O. Box 1000
Bedford Hills, NY 10507-2499


from Free Joy Powell: 

Dear Sir/madam,
I am a Pastor and an Antiviolence Activist form Rochester, New York.

There was a time in my life when I was a part of the problem. However, after serving 3 years in prison for CCS in the 3rd degree. I took charge of my life, realizing that there is nothing in this world you’ve ever been through, that you can’t pull yourself together and make a come back.

Upon my release from Taconic Correctional Facility, I immediately began to give back to the community what I felt: I had at one point helped destroy as a drug dealer.

I am presently beginning to serve a harsh sentence of 16 years, after being wrongfully convicted of 2 counts of First-degree Burglary and 2nd degree Assault. When truth of the matter is: the only thing I am guilty of is standing up for Equality and Justice for all. I’ve heard and read about systematic failure or straight up corruption in high places. I never thought in my wildest dreams after the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, which supposedly freed slaves, that in 2007 I would be faced with this nightmare.

My people have come over here in chains and shackles and yet, we’re still in chains and shackles. This is far from the American dream After my release from prison in 1995, I became a consistent activist and later a Pastor. I started out volunteering for the mayor’s office in a program called “The Rochester Challenge Against Violence” under the supervision of the Mayor’s Crime-Zar, Mr. Van White. I owned a Hair Salon at that time however, my burden for troubled youth was so overwhelming that I turned my hair salon into safe haven. I would teach the your anti-violence skills and worked with their self-esteem and fed them during the summer and after school. I would organize neighborhood cleanups, candle –light vigils and took the youth on field trips to colleges and neighborhood centers, where they performed anti-violence skits; I also took them to county jails as a scared straight tactic to detour them from becoming a statistic of a negative environment in hopes of encouraging them to become productive citizens.

Due to the death of a 15-year-old boy, who was murder on the side of my hair salon; became more active in organizing rallies against violence and drugs that riddled poverty stricken neighborhoods. In 2001, I became a victim of violence, when my 18-year-old son was gunned down June 13, 2001 and died June 14th, 2001 of his bullet wounds. The neighborhood my son was shooting was filled with boarded up houses, which consisted of major drug activity, constant shootouts and hopeless oppressed people.

Therefore, we began to rally and call press conferences concerning the dilapidated living conditions on Fulton Ave. of Rochester, New York. Demanding that the boarded up houses be torn down and new ones built. Within nine months, several houses were torn down, including the house my son was gunned down in front of, and brand new houses were built. That street will never be the same as a result of our grassroots efforts.

In my struggle as an activist, I began to draw up the facts, realing violence and poverty ran hand in hand. I began to hold press conferences concerning my strong views of injustice. As a voice for the voiceless who expressed to me that the community problem was that the people were tired and could no longer deal with being trampled on by the steel plate of oppression. The community never felt apprehensive or threatened by me; since I pose no threat. However, they felt very safe. The only weapon I carried for twelve years was the weapon of “NON-VIOLENCE” protest.

I never realized how much of a threat one individual could be unarmed, until I began to speak out against police brutality. In 2002 six people of color died while in custody of the RPD. In addition, in 2002 there was an African-American man named “Lawrence Rogers who was in Wegmans grocery store in psychotic mode, screaming “ Jesus is coming and I’m going to die today. “ Lawrence was unarmed with only boxers on, which clearly showed that there was a problem. Lawrence was brutally beaten to death by “THUGS IN BLUE SUITS” called the Police, who are supposed to protect and serve. Several individuals witnessed this tragic incident and some even video taped it.

Unfortunately, as a result of concerned citizens who were begging the Police to stop also became victims. They were maced, beat with billy clubs, stomped and arrested. Also, a store manager was maced ,beat down, and arrested; later, he learned that he had also been fired for pleading with the police to stop beating Mr. Rogers.

The community was outraged even more after seeing the “News Announcement” by the mayor and chief of police declaring the murder of Mr. Rogers by the RPD was justified. They also commended the officers in the brutal beating of a sick man who needed to be hygienically arrested.

We the people were demanding that the Policy and Procedure of announcing justification of individuals dying while in custody of the police would change. I and others feared calling the police because we were afraid of becoming a victim. I also organized a protest against the RPD and the Mayor’s office. Requesting that they do not taint the investigation before it’s investigated. As a result a new program was created through the police department called the “Emergency Response Team”. Which supposedly trained a team of officers how to negotiate with mentally ill patients, getting them the proper help they need. Also, the chief of RPD did eventually get on a “Special News Report” recanting his earlier announced statement of justification in Mr. Rogers tragic incident. “ of course history repeated itself in 2005 when a 13 year old girl, who was suicidal, mother called 911, extensively explaining to the dispatcher of her child’s mental health status and her state of mind at the time. This was a case that fit the criteria of “ emergency persons response million dollar team, (which is a waste of Tax payers money). Instead, a rookie officer named Mark Simmons, responded to the call and shot the little 13 year old girl several times almost causing her to lose her life.

Lashedica Mason posed no threat to anyone but herself, and her situation was a cry for help. Suspiciously my son and I were arrested, by the officer who shot Lashedica Mason. The strange thing about this arrest was my grand daughter was a victim of abuse, so I called the police not knowing I was going to become a suspect as well as my son. I spoke to the sergeant of my concerns about this fake arrest due to a vendetta officer Simmons had against me- for protesting against his inappropriate actions. The charges were later dropped. I also filed an internal affairs complaint concerning this false arrest. I found out a long time ago that the Police are not going to police themselves. Therefore, this officer was exonerated which did not surprise me at all.

My organization called “ EQUALITY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL” collaborated with a few other organizations in Rochester and did meet with the mayor and chief of Police with our objectives. All we ever received were justifications and excuses.

Around 3/06, the police were called to a well known mental health patients house, named Patricia Thompson. This women was about 50 years old and had a history of mental illness and normally when the police were called they would mentally hygiene arrest her.

For some reason on this day the Emergency Response team, as usual did not respond but instead a rookie officer who had no experience in dealing with psychotic individuals. According to her family members who witnessed the shooting, said the late Mrs. Thompson lunged at the police telling him to get out of the house. Officer Lafave gunned Mrs. Thompson down like an animal, forced her 80 yr old husband out of the house in his underwear, in the middle of a blizzard, and forced the 17 yr old daughter who also witnessed the murder of her mother, to go upstairs; and then bringing her down a half hour later, telling her “ Don’t step on that Knife”by a female officer. The girl was absolutely appalled because her mother never had a knife, yet, there was on lying by her hand. So I organized another protest asking what happened to the team?

A gentlemen from an organization called “Friends Helping Friends” named Andrew Stankovich and I, met with the ex-police chief, who is now the Mayor. He Stated to Andrew and myself that according to the police statement the only person that said Mrs. Thompson had a knife was the Policeman that shot her. Then there was a special news announcement that another mentally ill patient died while in Police custody.

This was called justified, tainting the investigation before the case was investigated. The only difference was the new mayor in 2006 was the ex-chief of police, Mayor Duffy. Duffy didn’t say this shooting was justified. Mayor Duffy said “statements were being taken from police officers who were separated at the scene to prevent collaboration of reports”. He didn’t mention that the tragic event was witnessed by her own family.

I organized a rally for answers. The only weapon I have used since 1995-2006, is the “weapon of protest”.

Going back to my incarceration from 1992 to 1995, I was victimized by an officer in Albion Correctional Facility. I was raped by an officer which was very traumatizing. As a result of this crime I went to P.C. Protective Custody, because the officer was stalking me. This was a nightmare I thought would never end. I reported this to all the appropriate people and I also told my therapist. This is one of the reasons I became an advocate for the mentally ill. Since then I have suffered from PTSD, anxiety, and Bi-polar. I have a great fear of police officers, mainly male officers.

In the free world I was also seeing a shrink because of my issues. On several different occasions I expressed to my doctors of my fears, which I knew were not a figment of my imagination. I told the therapist how the RPD was after my life, and shared how I was told to be careful. For sure, I was like so many activists before me, be killed or definitely set up by the RPD. The thing I feared has finally come upon me.

On October the 6th of 2006, I was the victim of a violent crime, and to no avail was I protected and served by the police. My injuries did cause me to get treated on the scene and I ended up in the hospital that day. I met with a talked to officer’s, sergeants, and lieutenants from the 6th to the 8th of October. I came to the realization that no justice would be served. I threatened to go to Internal Affairs, they were not happy with that at all. I was going to go on 10/10/06, because 10/09/06 was Columbus Day. On 10/09/06 I was on my way to the mall and received a disturbing phone call from my house, from a Minister of my congregation. Miniser Jewlerus Harley, notified me that there was about 10 police searching my house and an investigator wanted to speak to me. The investigator said “ Rev. Powell, this is investigator Lafoso, where are you? I became scared, all I could think of was-they are going to kill me, place a knife in my hands, call a press conference and call it justified. I asked investigator Lafoso why were they searching my house and did they have a search warrant. The Investigator’s reply was “ Rev. Powell, you are a real women of God aren’t you?” I said of course and he said we need to talk to you. There was no way I was going to meet ten police officers and this Lafoso guy by myself. So I replied, “ I really don’t like the way that sounds- you guys in my house a day before I go to Internal Affairs, I am going to call an Attorney and an activist to meet me at the Police Headquarters to see if this a joke. “ I had no idea what was going on but I was not too comfortable.

I also called 911 and had them dispatch a LT. I trusted named LT. Schills. No one at the headquarters seemed to know what was going on, so myself and missionary Andrew S. waited patiently.

Lt. Schills explained to me that is wasn’t a joke but I was being charged with two counts of first degree burglary and assault in the 2nd degree. The LT. Also assured me that I would be escorted safely to booking.

I was absolutely appalled. I did not know who I supposedly did these things to, until I was arraigned. To my surprise, the people who victimized me were the accuser’s. I was totally baffled at the fact that I was being railroaded in 2007.

My attorney requested that all Police reports filed by the accuser be subpoenaed. A police report came out during my trial as a follow-up of this burglary-assault. The police report was taken on 10/10/06 by officer Neabrega. As a follow up of the burglary that allegedly took place on 10/08/06. Ironically the officer whom I threatened to file a case against with Internal Affairs picked the victim up from the hospital. Upon her request and took her to a pawn shop on Portland Ave. in Rochester, NY to recover some of her stolen property which was taken on 10/08/06 and was sold to the pawn shop. The person in question was never arrested, questioned or pursued. In addition, my son who is severely crippled was accused in the report of being a participant, along with eight unidentified people in black hoodies and bandannas and black outerwear from head to toe.

I didn’t have a chance during my trial. The police , the judge, and later my own attorney aided and abetted one another. The officials went above and beyond the law to get a false conviction. Sentencing me with this unconstitutional 16 year sentence with no DNA or witnesses to corroborate one incredible accuser’s statements and various testimonies. This accuser was also granted immunity to testify against me.

The only thing that I am guilty of , as I stressed to the courts during my sentencing is standing up for EQUILITY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I have been unjustly convicted and I am hoping someone who reads my story will reach out to me.

My severely disabled son is somewhere on the run for fear of being “RAILROADED OR MURDERED BY THE RPD. I am hoping that someone can help my son Terrell Blake and Myself.”

Articles on my life as an Activist in Rochester, NY and news reports can be verified.
Rev. Joy Powell

While you’re here, we need your support. To continue running the website, we need support from community members like you. Will you support It’s Going Down, and help build independent media? donate?

Share This:

This submission came to It's Going Down anonymously through IGD is not the author nor are we responsible for the post content.

More Like This