Apr 8, 20
Filed under: Incarceration, Midwest, Publication
The Opening Statement is a free quarterly newsletter that features articles written by those currently imprisoned by the state of Michigan.
We publish poetry, political writing and opinion pieces, as well as other relevant pieces by non-incarcerate authors. We include author names (legal name in parenthesis, required for prisoner mail) and MDOC numbers below to encourage writing to folks whose pieces inspire you. Check out the Pen Pal page for tips on writing to someone inside.
OPENING STATEMENT – Spring 2020 (CLICK THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD PDF)
ARTICLES AND AUTHORS LISTED BELOW:
- What is Reasonable? Corrine Mackenzie
- Funding Our Own Incarceration Charles Jackson Bey #600271
- Your Health Matters: Health and Hygiene Tips Center for Disease Control
- Dear Mama James Washington III #303575
- Soul Encounters that Paint Awareness Sajad Al-Jibory/Double M
- Without Full Employment The Survival of Programs For Returning Citizens are in Danger Jamal Hammond
- What We Do Says Who We Are as a People Dwight Henley #246521 and Jamie Meade #232516
- Crimmigration and Internationalist Abolition Rustbelt Abolition Radio