Filed under: Anarchist Movement, Interviews, Radio/Podcast, This is America
Welcome, to This Is America, February 11th, 2020.
In this episode we speak with a member of the Black Rose Anarchist Federation and also rank-n-file member of the United Auto Workers who is participating in the wildcat strike at the University of California in Santa Cruz. They report on the first day of the strike, the autonomous forms of organization that the the strike has utilized, how strikers are push back against the administration and the official union structure, and an account of the violence that transpired on the picket lines at the hands of riot police.
— Black Rose – Bay Area (@bayareabrrn) February 11, 2020
We then switch to a discussion, centered on an anarchist and autonomous anti-capitalist critique of Bernie Sanders and social democracy.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
- While Trump continues to lie to his shrinking base that he will not attack public health care programs, his newly proposed budget for 2021 unsurprisingly calls for increased military spending for war, his so-called “Space Force” program, and billions for the disastrous border wall project. The budget also calls for deep cuts to food stamps, health care programs, and social security.
- Tribal leaders report that O’odham and other Native sacred burial sites have been blow up to make way for the construction of Trump’s border wall. In the led up to wall construction, “Trump waived the Native American Graves Protection Act,” along with dozens of other environmental regulations. As one report wrote, “Construction crews in Arizona have begun blasting away boulders and cutting down cacti in an area directly abutting a Tohono O’odham Nation burial site, which at least a dozen Native American nations claim a connection to…”
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) February 11, 2020
- Actions in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en and against the RCMP and Coastal GasLink continue to be carried out across Canada Tuesday, the fifth consecutive day of active resistance and disruption of industrial capitalist infrastructure, as freeways and railroads continue to be blocked by demonstrators and First Nations. According to the Transit Minister, the blockades are “crippling parts of the country’s transport network, including one of the main rail arteries in southern Ontario.” In Victoria, the encampment in front of the BC Legislature continues to be occupied and today, the President of the legislature was blocked from entering the building amid chants of “Take apart the settler state!”
The President of the British Columbia legislature press gallery, Global’s Richard Zussman, tries to enter the BC Legislature as protestors opposing RCMP presence in Wet’suwet’en block all doors of the building. pic.twitter.com/0KAfLcyKT9
— Sean Craig (@sdbcraig) February 11, 2020
- The wildcat strike at UC Santa Cruz continues into its second day, with hundreds of students taking part in shutting down the campus and pushing back against riot police. Yesterday, other UC campuses also saw actions in different cities. Students in San Diego, Los Angeles, Davis, Santa Barbara, and Berkeley held rallies and marches to demand a cost of living wage increase. Check out our interview with someone on the ground at UCSC for a full report later in the program.
— Black Rose – Bay Area (@bayareabrrn) February 10, 2020
— Black Rose – Bay Area (@bayareabrrn) February 11, 2020
— COLA Agitation Committee (@SpreadtheStrike) February 11, 2020
Faculty just marched down! pic.twitter.com/uW0DIYkbOb
— UCSC4COLA: #COPSOFFCAMPUS (@payusmoreucsc) February 11, 2020
- According to Quartz, thanks to the release of new court documents, it has come to light that Leonard Drake, a registered sex offender angry at being kicked out of Civil War re-enactment group, in revenge started a conspiracy that “ANTIFA” was plotting extreme violence by sending fake letters filled with violent threats and planting a pipe bomb. The story was picked up by a variety of pro-Trump and far-Right publications.
- Last Thursday, long time antifascist organizer Daryle Lamont Jenkins spoke in front of a large crowd at a church in the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn, which has currently been mobilizing against the neo-Nazi group, Patriot Front. In the last several weeks, the fascists have put up stickers, flyers, and dropped banners, pushing many locals to come together and begin organizing. Before the talk, the neo-Nazi group also vandalized the church with Patriot Front propaganda in an attempt to scare the working-class patrons at the church from turning out to the event. They were unsuccessful and the event went off without a hitch, with over 125 people attending – which is more locals in one room than Patriot Front was able to fly in from across the country for the recent march on DC.
Days before they marched in #DC, neo-Nazis in the group Patriot Front vandalized a church in the #BayRidge neighborhood of #Brooklyn, the same day it hosted a forum on combating the rise of hate crimes. These groups hate the working class, especially when it organizes itself. pic.twitter.com/EQWt1v5n6n
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) February 11, 2020
- In Bakersfield, a group of abolitionists crashed a dinner party and meeting being held by the GEO Group.
- People rallied outside of the Metropolitan Detention Center in New York due to reports that the facility has not been supplying those inside with heat and other basic necessities; a repeat of a similar situation last year that last to massive, rowdy demonstrations, which forced prison officials to turn the heat back on. Prisoners responded to demonstrators outside the facility that they were indeed without heat.
#AbolishMDC protesters are outside Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn asking the people locked up what they need. They respond with flashing lights & scream out that they have no heat & other necessities. Last year, this same jail got in trouble for turning off the heat. pic.twitter.com/xcT9Bye9GR
— Ash J (@AshAgony) February 11, 2020
- In Portland, Oregon over the weekend, hundreds of people rallied against a call by a local KKK leader to hold a white nationalist demonstration. While in the end the KKK did not show up, people were successful in pushing back several far-Right grifters and the police. Graffiti was also written over a monument to the Spanish-American war.
Portland police are in the area, but mostly out of sight. Counter protestors are mingling in lownsdale park pic.twitter.com/hfKXUZ5PO3
— Sergio Olmos (@MrOlmos) February 8, 2020
Brandon Farley is a far-Right grifter who openly calls for groups like Atomwaffen to attack his enemies. https://t.co/ApJtCUMX6X
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) February 8, 2020
- Members of the Philadelphia chapter of the Revolutionary Abolitionist Movement (RAM) participated in a rally to free Mumia and also celebrated the release of Chuck Africa, the last of the MOVE 9 to be freed from prison.
RAM-Philly at Free Mumia action last week! When we fight, we win! It is essential to root our struggle in freeing political prisoners. Chuck Africa has been freed! Let’s fight to get Mumia and everyone else out this year! pic.twitter.com/NRZlO4CmUb
— RevAbolitionPHL (@RAM_Philly) February 8, 2020
- Meanwhile in New York, groups like Declonize This Place have taken a lot heat following the #FTP3 mass mobilizations. Despite this, the group has held firm, continuing to release photos and video of autonomous actions and also putting out communiques and statements.
BREAKING || Address to Communities of New York by FTP Formation in Communique No. 5, in relation to recent events and fear mongering by the Mayor and Shea 👇🏽👇🏽👇🏽 pic.twitter.com/TYXRqL0UW7
— DecolonizeThisPlace (@decolonize_this) February 9, 2020
Let’s not get it twisted… NYPD counter-insurgency and scare tactics won’t stop the #FTP movement or it’s diversity of tactics. In fact, FTP continues to grow with autonomous actions, everyday hopping and holding and other modes of fare evasion. (Credits below). #FTP3 pic.twitter.com/hLnhOk4Qf4
— DecolonizeThisPlace (@decolonize_this) February 8, 2020
- Lastly, members of Parkdale Organize in so-called Canada are stepping up to stand in solidarity with striking teachers. They are even mobilizing to set up a “strike school” while teachers on the picket lines. For more info, follow them on Twitter.
Parkdale Solidarity Camp
Feb. 11&12, 8:30-3:30
St. Mark's Church (201 Cowan)
Struggling with childcare on strike days? Teachers and parents have organized a solidarity camp – free childcare on strike days for those who need it.
Register: parkdalesolidarity at gmail pic.twitter.com/erm7wxXd3r
— Parkdale Organize (@ParkdaleOrg) February 10, 2020
- Anarchist prisoner Eric King has a new Twitter account run by his supporters. Please follow it here.
- Several Abolish ICE activists in Florida have been re-arrested and now face a slew of new felony charges, stemming from a blockade of a GEO Group facility in early December. For more information and ways to help, go here.
- February 14th: Migrant Solidarity Benefit. Chicago, IL. More info.
- February 14th: Benefit for IWW and SBC. Atlanta, GA. More info.
- March 6th – March 15th: Appalachian Climate Action Camp. More info.
- March 22nd: Anarchist Assembly. Caguas. More info.
- April 9th – 12th: Conference on Jewish Anarchism. Chicago, IL. More info.
- April 25th: Bay Area Anarchist Bookfair. Oakland, CA. More info.
- July 3rd – 5th: Dan and Spit Antifascist Music Festival. Asheville, NC. More info.
It’s Going Down
We need your help to reach our goal by March of signing up 25 new monthly supporters! Help autonomous revolutionary media grow into 2020!
- Sign up to become a monthly supporter here!
- Give us a one time donation here or through Bitcoin.
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD on whatever podcast service you use.
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Fridays at 12 PM PST (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, and Santa Cruz). On Saturday, we’re on the Seattle Pacifica station at 7pm. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow and share us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook!