Filed under: Featured, This is America
Welcome, to This Is America, May 28th, 2021.
On today’s episode, first we speak with a resident of the North Fork mobile home park in Kentucky, about how residents there have been fighting the mass eviction of a trailer park to make way for a strip mall, a move that will displace dozens of families and individuals and enrich “one of the most successful businessmen in Kentucky,” who will rake in a massive amount of corporate welfare, to complete development of the project.
George Floyd's life was stolen from him by police last year. Rest in power. pic.twitter.com/G1cg0ySN5L
— DC Youth Liberation Front (@dcylf) May 26, 2021
We then switch to a recording from a recent May Day event, featuring speakers from It’s Going Down, Sima Lee and Klee Benally, who discuss the past year since the start of the George Floyd rebellion and the path ahead in the changing terrain.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
One Year Since the Start of the George Floyd Uprising
- Marches, rallies, and letter-writing events to prisoners marked one year since the start of the George Floyd uprising in so-called Minneapolis. 300 marched in Downtown Portland, clashing with police and setting off fireworks, while in Minneapolis, a large gathering was held at George Floyd Square.
George Floyd Square showing everyone what community looks like. pic.twitter.com/qVkGNvsElu
— daviss (@daviss) May 26, 2021
A year after George Floyd's murder by Minneapolis police officers racial justice activists in Portland, Oregon protested outside the Justice Center.
After a dumpster was set on fire at the Justice Center riot police responded while firefighters extinguished the flames.
— Daniel V. Media (@danielvmedia) May 26, 2021
Fireworks are let off outside the Injustice center in downtown Portland on the anniversary of George Floyd’s murder. There are around 300 people here. #GeorgeFloyd #portlandprotest pic.twitter.com/fCqwmh7jvb
— Grace Morgan (@gravemorgan) May 26, 2021
Solidarity with Palestine
- Over the last several weeks, mass demonstrations have continued in solidarity with Palestinians in the occupied territories, resulting in pressuring Israel to end bombardments which have led to the deaths of over 200 Palestinians in an aggressive campaign of ethnic cleansing. Protests in New York and Montreal have led to clashes with police and pro-Zionists forces in the streets. Also in Chicago, the international headquarters of Boeing was blockade for their role in selling Israel weapons.
Rockford stands in Solidarity with Palestine!!!
reposted the picture from the Muslim Association of Greater Rockford pic.twitter.com/3uiXYgTkUI
— 815 Mutual Aid Network (@mutualaid815) May 22, 2021
HAPPENING NOW: Organizers are blocking the road to the international headquarters of Boeing here in Chicago, demanding to #Blockthebombs after Biden approved a $735 MILLION sale of Boeing weapons to Apartheid Israel #DivestfromBoeing pic.twitter.com/0WvtoHhvzq
— Hoda Katebi هدی کاتبی (@hodakatebi) May 27, 2021
Fight for Abolition
- Under the banner of Abolition May, abolitionist groups across so-called US have been organizing actions and events throughout the month of May to demand police off college campuses. Actions have ranged from from banner drops, marches through campus, teach-ins and educational events, and Coffee Not Cops outreach tables.
At UCDavis a gang of people rolled up on the Chancellor’s house … and some abolitionist good times ensued pic.twitter.com/C0KDOhqZT2
— Cops Off Campus – #AbolitionMay (@ucftp) May 25, 2021
— DIVEST/INVEST – #CopsOffCampus (@divestucla) May 21, 2021
— UCSD Cops Off Campus (@ucsd_ftp) May 20, 2021
There is no good reason for UCPD to exist. Today, students, faculty, staff, community members took over the intersection in front of UCPD @UCLA to state that message. #AbolitionMay #CopsOffCampus pic.twitter.com/zpPy8YGsbN
— DIVEST/INVEST – #CopsOffCampus (@divestucla) May 21, 2021
- Protests continue in Elizabeth City, North Carolina against the police murder Andrew Brown, Jr. Officials recently ruled that the shooting was “justified,” while Brown’s family and community members contend he was ambushed and riddled with bullets by the police. This week, a white driver was arrested for driving into a crowd of protesters, hitting two African-American women with her car. Protests and marches continue daily. For a more in-depth look at the demonstrations, check out this recent IGD podcast.
— 🚩🐶Andrea Of The Anti-Fascist Variety✊🐘🏴 (@PAWGsForBernie) May 24, 2021
- In Los Angeles, the LAPD issued a city wide “tactical alert” before opening fire with projectiles on an large outdoor punk show, which led to concert goers throwing rocks, blocking streets, and firing off fireworks.
LAPD really showed up to the punk show last night and shot less-lethal rounds directly into the pit pic.twitter.com/xMMu4bgHI7
— New York Year Zero (@newyorkyearzero) May 9, 2021
- In Philadelphia, hundreds took the the streets to mark the anniversary of the police bombing of the eco-radical group, MOVE in 1985. From one report:
Surviving members of the MOVE family walked with hundreds of supporters through West Philadelphia Thursday night to commemorate the 36th anniversary of the day city leaders dropped explosives on their…compound.
The subsequent fire, allowed to burn to the point where it turned more than 60 houses to rubble, killed 11 people, including five children.
Just hours before Pam Africa and Mike Africa Jr. began their remembrance of lost comrades by describing the two-day assault, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney announced the resignation of the city’s top health official for mishandling remains of victims of the bombing.
— T A H I R (@TheVirtuousLion) May 13, 2021
- Over 50 people have been arrested at the Fairy Creek tree-sit blockade in so-called British Columbia since police began enforcing an injunction on the land in an attempt stop resistance to logging of some of the last remaining old-growth forest.
- Resistance to the Line 3 pipeline continues. For ongoing updates, be sure to check out Rising Tide North America for ongoing updates. Recently, large lock-downs have stalled construction at the site and Water Protectors also organized a demonstration outside the home of a bank executive helping to fund the project.
Source: Rising Tide North America
- A trial has begun for several of the Tiny House Warriors in so-called Canada who are fighting the Trans Mountain Pipeline.
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) May 25, 2021
The loudest thunder this spring … pic.twitter.com/wYDmLdLfM3
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) May 27, 2021
- The Six Nations land reclamation at 1492 Land Back Lane continues. From a report on social media:
Members of the Six Nations of the Grand River have built cabins and other structures on the site…which is right beside the Six Nations territory, and have been living there for the past 10 months. The purpose of the occupation is to halt construction of a housing project by Foxgate Developments.
While blockades have come down, people are preparing for “a summer of get-togethers, concerts and lacrosse games” on the land.
From Turtle Island to Palestine colonization is a crime!
We have raised a banner in the intersection where police shot at our people in October in solidarity with Palestine. We stand united in our shared struggle. pic.twitter.com/ZHmaO4zAyu
— #1492LandBackLane (@1492LBL) May 14, 2021
- In Mohawk territory in so-called Quebec, in the same area where the Oka crisis in 1990 kicked off in fierce resistance, Native people continue to resist the development of land for the tourism industry. Recently, a car caravan was organized to support ongoing land defense efforts.
A few photos from today’s protest at the illegal development site in Kanehsatake pic.twitter.com/vJJAZApw9z
— Ellen Gabriel (@EllenGabriel1) May 22, 2021
Workers at Voodoo Doughnut have received our union election date!
Workers will be voting this month from May 11th to June 8th. The workers are expecting to win the vote with an overwhelming majority ✊#doughnutworkersunited #dwu #iww #voodoodoughnut #union #unionstrong pic.twitter.com/ZVYBoplTAl
— Doughnut Workers United (@DWU_PDX) May 1, 2021
Members of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) have been busy, working to unionize Moe’s Books in Berkeley, CA, Charter school workers in Richmond, CA, and also the staff of the Socialist Rifle Association (SRA), the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition (OVEC), and Voodoo Doughnut workers in Portland, OR.
— 𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 (@renepakmorrison) April 24, 2021
Also in Berkeley, marches and protests have been ongoing, fighting back against proposed evictions by UC Berkeley of housing and the autonomous People’s Park.
June 5th: Beaverton City Library, 2pm. Zinefest and Mutual Aid Fair. Beaverton, Oregon.
June 5th: Abolition Assembly and BBQ, Richmond, VA. More info here.
June 11th: International Day of Solidarity with Marius Mason and Long-Term Anarchist Prisoners
- Philadelphia, PA: BBQ and movie fundraiser.
- Detroit, MI: Noise demo.
June 12 – 13th: Philly Skillshare Convergence featuring workshops, discussions, and tabling. For more information and updates, check here.
June 26th – July 1st: Earth First! Summer Gathering in so-called Minnesota. More info here.
August 21st – September 9th: Call for abolitionist actions in support of prisoner struggles. More info here.
It’s Going Down
If you value IGD as a revolutionary autonomous media resource in times of crisis and have the means, please sign up to support us monthly! Help autonomous revolutionary media grow into 2021!
- Sign up to become a monthly supporter here!
- Give us a one time donation here or through Bitcoin.
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD wherever you get your podcasts!
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Fridays at 12 PM PST (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, and Santa Cruz). On Saturday, 7pm, at 96.9. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow and share us on Twitter, Instagram, and Mastadon!
- Tell a friend about IGD and check out more content on the Channel Zero Anarchist Podcast Network!