Filed under: Featured, Interviews, Radio/Podcast, This is America
Welcome, to This Is America, June 5th, 2023.
On today’s episode, we start off with a discussion on recent protests in New York City, following the vigilante murder of Jordan Neely on a subway train last month. We talk about how the murder of Neely comes amidst growing calls to attack poor and houseless people, especially from Democratic leaders of large cities, like Eric Adams in New York. We then offer up an anarchist analysis of the unfolding electoral terrain as more Republicans enter into the 2024 race and Democrats embrace a right-ward shift around immigration and “crime.”
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
In the lead up to an upcoming week of action against the Cop City project in Atlanta, police carried out a raid against the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, a non-profit which provides bail for demonstrators arrested by the police and connects them with lawyers. The raid also comes before a major vote on the project’s funding, and amid news that the counter-insurgency training center will cost millions more in public funds that originally reported by local politicians. Leaked scanner conversations between police officers following the raid also show officers stating that the repression was carried out to suppress protest organizing in the lead up to the vote. Following the raid, over 150 rallied outside of the DeKalb County jail to demand the three volunteers be released and charges be dropped.
— Defend the Atlanta Forest (@defendATLforest) April 20, 2023
In the wake of the raid, on June 5th, over a thousand people rallied at Atlanta city hall, calling for the city council to vote against funding the project. As this episode was being recorded, over 100 people had already spoken out against the project, many calling on the public to continue to resist regardless of how the council votes, as protesters rallied outside with banners and food, chanting, “If you build it, we will burn it.”
Only ~50 of the 357 people signed up for public comment have spoken so far w/ the promise that more can sign up at the end of that 357.
We are prepared to stay all night & be here tomorrow.
— Defend the Atlanta Forest (@defendATLforest) June 5, 2023
Our first audio presentation includes a selection of several public statements from speakers opposed to the project, including a statement from those targeted in the recent raid against the Atlanta Solidarity Fund. At the time of this recording, it remains unclear as to what will happen with regards to the vote around Cop City or how long the comments against it will continue (activists are currently calling on people to stay overnight), but be sure to check back on IGD for more updates.
- June 8th: June 11th letter-writing to anarchist prisoners. Charlottesville, VA. More info here.
- June 9th: Puget Sound Prisoner Support Benefit Show and Radical Zine Fair, Bremerton, WA. More info here.
- June 11th: Portland, OR. June 11th letter-writing to anarchist prisoners. Wilshire Park, 3 PM. More info here.
- June 11th: Eugene, OR. June 11th letter-writing to anarchist prisoners. Monroe Park, 5 PM. More info here.
- June 11th: Houston, TX. June 11th day of solidarity with long-term anarchsit prisoners. More info here.
- June 11th: Cincinnati, OH. June 11th day of solidarity long-term anarchist prisoners. 4573 Hamilton Ave. More info here.
- June 11th: Minneapolis, MN. Film-screening and letter writing. More info here.
- June 11th: New Orleans, LA. Film-screening and letter writing. More info here.
- June 11th: Philadelphia, PA. Bike ride and letter-writing. More info here.
- June 11th: Queens, NYC. June 11th day of solidarity with long-term anarchist prisoners. 1 PM, 585 Woodward Ave. More info here.
- June 24th – 25th: Autonomous Tenant Union Network West Coast Regional Meetup. More info here.
- July 1st – 9th: Earth First! Gathering. Location TBA. More info here.
- July 18th: Book Launch: Anarchist Popular Power – Dissident Labor and Armed Struggle in Uruguay 1956-76. Oakland, CA. More info here.
- August 11th – 13th: Another Carolina Anarchist Bookfair. Asheville, NC. More info here.
- August 12th: Los Angeles Anarchist Bookfair. More info here.
- August 26th – 27th: Seattle Anarchist Bookfair. More info here.
- September 8th – 11th: Bash Back! convergence. Chicago, IL. More info here.
- October 21st: Pushing Down the Walls, benefit for political prisoners. Los Angeles, CA. More info here.
It’s Going Down
If you value IGD as a revolutionary autonomous media resource in times of crisis, please help us grow the platform!
- Donate to help sustain this project!
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD wherever you get your podcasts! While you’re at us, give us a good review and rating!
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Wednesdays at 11 AM PST. 94.1 FM in Marin County, Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco, 88.1 FM in Fresno, 97.5 FM in Santa Cruz, 94.3 FM in Monterey, at 5pm on 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles, and Saturday, 7pm on 96.9 FM in Seattle. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow us on Mastodon and BlueSky!
- Tell a friend about IGD and check out more content on the Channel Zero Anarchist Podcast Network!