Filed under: Featured, Interviews, Radio/Podcast, This is America
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
photo via: @KanahusFreedom
Welcome, to This Is America, July 29th, 2021.
On this episode, we speak with someone from the Puget Sound Tenants Union, which is also apart of the Autonomous Tenant Union Network, We discuss what we can potentially expect with the possible end to the eviction moratorium happening at the end of the month and how tenants can get organized to resist evictions now.
We then switch to our discussion, where we talk about the doubling-down of the GOP around fascist and conspiracy laden politics and how this relates to the ramping up of an attack on voting rights.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
#stopLine3 #nativewarriors pic.twitter.com/D85NMmCgIm
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) July 19, 2021
Fight Against Line 3
- The fight against the Line 3 pipeline continues forward, with lock downs and disruptions of construction sites being organized almost every day. A judge has also granted a temporary restraining order against local law enforcement, who were blocking a road outside of a property Water Protectors were using as a base camp. New reporting by the Intercept has also documented how the pipeline company is essentially paying for local law enforcement to engage in a broad counter-insurgency campaign against Line 3 protesters:
So far Enbridge has reimbursed more than $1 million in expenses, for things like crowd control training, overtime pay, and so-called personal protective equipment, like riot suits and tear gas masks.
With promises of reimbursement on the table, police and Enbridge officials were communicating regularly in the year leading up to the final construction permit’s approval. Meanwhile, the interagency Northern Lights Task Force was pouring “countless hours” into building an elaborate infrastructure for quelling pipeline opposition. More than a dozen Northern Lights subcommittees met monthly or weekly. An agenda for a January 2020 task force meeting included a discussion of “Phone/car tracking possibilities to consider.” The group also planned to discuss potentially back-grounding organizers for links to terrorism and whether to launch a “public information campaign on who they are and what they have done in the past.” Multiple planning documents described law enforcement drone assets.
[Pro-pipeline groups] spent around $20,000 on Facebook ads in March and April alone, circulating testimony from motel, restaurant, and construction supply store owners about how friendly pipeline workers are and how much they’ve boosted business.
Minnesotans for Line 3 describes itself as a “grassroots organization of people who understand how important it is to have reliable energy to power our economy,” but a disclosure form unearthed by DeSmog lists Enbridge as a sponsor of a Minnesotans for Line 3 TV ad. Pipeline opponents say that the group is an astroturf organization, a grassroots group hiding the fact that it is sponsored by a corporation to advance the corporation’s agenda.
For continuous action updates, see the Resist Line 3 pipeline page on Instagram and the Giniw Collective.
BREAKING: This morning, Water Protectors blocked pullback of Line 3 pipeline under Crow Wing River by locking to drill! Are you listening @POTUS @ginamccarthy46 @USACEHQ? Our wild rice, the Mississippi River headwaters call out. Already been 9 spills. #STOPLINE3 #CantStopWontStop pic.twitter.com/KAJDTFzqko
— giniw collective (@GiniwCollective) July 23, 2021
Twitter deleted my video of the NYPD attacking activists today at 1083 Broadway in Brooklyn. Here it is again. pic.twitter.com/MRO6zJpFk4
— Isabelle Leyva (@isabelle_leyva) July 24, 2021
A group in #Brooklyn again occupied the ground floor of a vacant space for mutual aid programs. Police responded with a raid on the building. Listen to communique on situation here. https://t.co/n22FG6pr8O
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) July 25, 2021
- The bottom floor of an empty building was occupied in Brooklyn by a mutual aid network called the ‘The Gym’ for the second time in two two weeks, leading to a brutal eviction by NYPD.
Our neighbors in Edgewood are protesting their abusive apartment manager. He is sexually exploiting tenants, evicting them, and violating their rights. We're supporting them in organizing a tenant union, and you should too! Please spread the word. https://t.co/JzJBIwjlF5
— The Teardown (@The_Teardown) July 25, 2021
- In so-called Atlanta, residents at Edgewood apartments protested and rallied against an abusive manager who has been sexually exploiting tenants.
CRESCENT TOWN TENANTS WIN IN FIGHT AGAINST EVICTIONS: Thread (1/20)
Last week the Landlord Tenant Board was forced to admit Pinedale Properties retaliated against @CrescentUnion: their eviction cases will be dismissed due to Pinedale's retaliation against tenants pic.twitter.com/2hjOCUPmXh
— PeoplesDefenceTO (@Peoples_Defence) July 14, 2021
- Members of the Crescent Town Tenants Union in so-called Toronto, successfully won a fight against a wave of harassment and evictions that landlords had been attempting to carry out in retaliation for organizing.
Yesterday, young Panjabi workers protested in front of a wage thief’s home in Brampton to demand that he pay his former truck driver $5,552.82 for his labour.
I don’t think the streets of Brampton have seen self-organized workers do besti of their employer like this before. 🧵 pic.twitter.com/eOhe39tDww
— Simran (@dhunnasim) July 26, 2021
- In Brampton, Ontario, a self-organized group of workers “protested in front of a wage thief’s home…to demand that he pay his former truck driver” thousands in unpaid wages.
Struggle for Abolition
Some signs from the anti cop rally pic.twitter.com/6PHYl3PrcD
— colorado peoples press (@colpeoplespress) July 18, 2021
- In Denver, Colorado, people held a counter-demonstration against a pro-police rally at the state capitol.
Those gathered chanting “Who killed Winston Smith!” at Lake/Girard. The memorials for Winston Smith and Deona Marie were cleared at 5am this morning by an unknown security crew. pic.twitter.com/WbEjF6V22E
— daviss (@daviss) July 15, 2021
- Demonstrations continue in Minneapolis, however a new private security force recently hired by the city has cleared an area that until recently, was held by protesters.
NOT GUILTY ON BOTH COUNTS!
Prosecutors wasted tax dollars & time trying to repress our right to free speech. #KarenSmith is smiling somewhere as we continue our collective fight for abolition. #NotGuilty #FreeSpeech #EndPrisonSlavery #PrisonAbolition pic.twitter.com/0vApSYp763
— Florida Prisoner Solidarity (@FL_Abolition) July 21, 2021
- Members of Florida Prisoner Solidarity had all their charges dropped last week, after three people were slapped with trumped up charges steaming from a noise demonstration outside a prison earlier this year.
People assemble for 3 month anniversary of #AndrewBrown being shot and killed by police in #ElizabethCity
DAY 92 pic.twitter.com/IoKvT86UTb
— 🚩🐶Andrea Of The Anti-Fascist Variety✊🐘🏴 (@AndreaRovenski) July 21, 2021
- In Elizabeth City, people gathered in protest to mark the three month anniversary of police murdering Andrew Brown.
Solidarity with LA Antifascist and Anarchists
- Banners were dropped across the US and beyond in solidarity with anarchists and antifascists in the streets of LA who faced down the Proud Boys and the LAPD in recent demonstrations.
Good morning from just over the Downtown Connector. If you're commuting south, feel free to slow to a cool 80mph to check out these cute new banners 🤠 Solidarity with Queer Angelenos and Antifascist prisoners everywhere! pic.twitter.com/ypZwYT1tkt
— Atlanta YLF (@AtlantaYLF) July 26, 2021
Queer solidarity from Sacramento comrades! 🏴🏳️🌈🏳️⚧️ pic.twitter.com/nnuugwKQmM
— A.A.R.F ⍟ Autonomous Anarchist Revolutionary Front (@AARF_LA) July 26, 2021
Queer means attack! 🏴🏳️⚧️🏳️🌈 Banner drop in solidarity with queer comrades fighting against transphobia infront of Wi Spa!#SmashTransphobia#SmashFascism pic.twitter.com/Y8k9DF8Pnn
— A.A.R.F ⍟ Autonomous Anarchist Revolutionary Front (@AARF_LA) July 22, 2021
Anti-Homophobe Action from the UK showing solidarity with Los Angeles! 🏴🏳️⚧️🏳️🌈 pic.twitter.com/DXfpbFC4ZI
— A.A.R.F ⍟ Autonomous Anarchist Revolutionary Front (@AARF_LA) July 18, 2021
Fight Against Mountain Valley Pipeline
- Construction for the Trans Mountain Pipeline, which would carry tar sands oil, has ramped up in so-called British Columbia. Workers have entered into the area where the Tiny House Warriors have been blockading construction only to be met with resistance. This struggle is playing out on unceded Secwepemc Territory. Follow Tiny House Warriors and Kanahus Manuel for updates.
Photo: Indigenous Resistance to #transmountain tar sands dilbit pipeline and tankers! **To all the rcmp, csis, the crowns guards/Tmx security & oil trolls surveillance & monitoring of me. FUCK YOU & Canadian occupation OF #SECWEPEMC UNCEDED LAND!!! The Crown 👑 has no land here! pic.twitter.com/GsFMztvaAq
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) July 29, 2021
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) July 27, 2021
Tiny House Warriors asserting Indigenous Sovereignty to Unceded Secwepemc Homelands and Territory from a dirty Tar Sands pipeline and 1000-man “man camp” /// #stoptmx #tinyhousewarriors pic.twitter.com/7YMmFVo21c
— Kanahus Manuel (@KanahusFreedom) July 27, 2021
International Day of Solidarity with Antifascist Prisoners
- People gathered in cities across the US and beyond to write letters in support of antifascist prisoners and to mark July 25th, an international day of solidarity with antifascist prisoners. In Atlanta supporters of St. Pauli football club also held banners in solidarity, while in New York, people confronted a rally organized in part by the Proud Boys.
Very nice: FC St. Pauli Fans – Atlanta @SanktPauliATL supporting the International Day of Solidarity with Antifascist Prisoners #j25antifa yesterday. pic.twitter.com/QAOwVi9oLF
— Atlanta Antifascists (@afainatl) July 27, 2021
Antifascists counter protested a fascist rally in NYC’s Foley Square (that featured Proud Boys doing “security,” anti-vax nonsense, & January 6 coup apologia) earlier today. NYPD protected fascists & arrested multiple antifascists. Here’s some pics of the antifascist banners: pic.twitter.com/XzJGsuyvqI
— Ash J (@AshAgony) July 25, 2021
- Mutual aid projects continue in many cities. In the Pacific Northwest, groups likes the Willamette Action Collective and Symbiosis continue to gather food and water to take to tribal communities in need.
Earlier this week, the Willamette Action Collective delivered five full vehicles of food to the Coquille Reservation on the Oregon Coast to help alleviate continued food insecurity in the tribal community due to the recent effects of Covid-19 and the long history of material pic.twitter.com/8sEwNKzsgL
— Willamette Action Collective (@WillametteAC) July 22, 2021
Getting resources directly to the Klamath Tribes directly impacted by the bootleg fire.
their people are not only the navigating fire & drought with over 72 wells running dry, but the constant threats of violence from the alt right militia groups fighting for control of water pic.twitter.com/vjZpjomqLT
— Symbiosis PDX ☀️❤️🌻 (@Symbiosis_PDX) July 23, 2021
COMMUNITY COOL OFF 🧊 ✊
We’ve got water bottles, ice packs, zines, and more!
Come down to Peavey Park under the pavilion and cool down pic.twitter.com/Af5qdnqlxS
— Twin Cities Encampment Responders (@TCparkresponder) July 24, 2021
- August 14th: Rock Against Fascism community music festival in Portland. More info here.
- August 18th: Day of Action to Defend the Atlanta Forest. More info here.
- August 21st – September 9th: Call for abolitionist actions in support of prisoner struggles. More info here.
- September 11th – 12th: Running Down the Walls events in support of political prisoners. More info here.
- November 12th – 14th: Protest against white nationalist ‘American Renaissance’ conference in Burns, Tennessee. More info here.
It’s Going Down
If you value IGD as a revolutionary autonomous media resource in times of crisis and have the means, please sign up to support us monthly! Help autonomous revolutionary media grow into 2021!
- Sign up to become a monthly supporter here!
- Give us a one time donation here or through Bitcoin.
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD wherever you get your podcasts!
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Fridays at 12 PM PST (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, and Santa Cruz). On Saturday, 7pm, at 96.9 in Seattle. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow and share us on Twitter, Instagram, and Mastadon!
- Tell a friend about IGD and check out more content on the Channel Zero Anarchist Podcast Network!