Filed under: Featured, Interviews, Radio/Podcast, This is America
photo: Detroit IWW
Welcome, to This Is America, December 15th, 2021.
On this episode we cover resistance news: from clashes in the streets with police, strikes, and recent calls for mutual aid and disaster relief.
We then switch gears and discuss inflation and the ongoing push by the GOP into open fascist politics.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news.
Living and Fighting
Late last month, people took to the streets across the US in response to the Rittenhouse verdict.
As people express anger in Portland tonight, remember—Portlander Michael Reinoehl never got to present a self-defense argument in court when he killed the fascist who attacked him. Police hunted and executed him without even trying to arrest him.
One law for them—another for us. https://t.co/W5NyEyIVe4
— CrimethInc. (@crimethinc) November 20, 2021
- In Portland, a riot was declared as people clashed with police and broke windows in the downtown.
“Good night alt-right! No nazis in our town tonite!”
Autonomous antifascist march in Middle Village, Queens earlier tonite in response to the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict. NYPD cops quickly repressed the march & made at least 2 brutal arrests. pic.twitter.com/maOVCQG7mH
— Ash J (@AshAgony) November 20, 2021
- New York, anarchists and antifascists organized a night march in Queens, writing graffiti and clashing with the authorities.
Protesters marched through the gaslamp in San Diego tonight (11/19) in response to the Rittenhouse verdict. Chants included condemnations of the justice system and the people’s judgment—that rittenhouse is guilty in the eyes of the community.
There were vocal supporters and 1/ pic.twitter.com/IxbzUTWufj
— Joe Orellana (@joeorephoto) November 20, 2021
- San Diego, people also took the streets in protest. ‘
Where's the lie? https://t.co/yHRl8fWuXb
— Colorado Springs Anti-Fascists (@COSAntiFascists) November 21, 2021
- And across the so-called US, anti-Rittenhouse graffiti hit the walls.
Protesters in the Bronx marched to NYPD’s 46th precinct last nite to demand justice for #MikeRosado & freedom for his dad Rafael, who is currently locked up for shooting back at the cops who shot & killed his son. A USA flag was burned & cop cars were lightly redecorated. pic.twitter.com/f1djkNgSGc
— Ash J (@AshAgony) December 5, 2021
- In New York, people continue to take to the streets to demand justice for “Mike Rosado and freedom for his father, who is currently locked up in Rikers Island for trying to defend his son from killer cops.”
Headline from newspaper: Students Remember the 10th Anniversary of Pepper Spray, and Then Storm the Campus Police Station” pic.twitter.com/bRFzpr4Zp3
— Cops Off Campus UC (@ucftp) November 19, 2021
- Abolitionist students at UC Davis marked the 10 year anniversary of police pepper-spraying of Occupy demonstrators by dropping banners, writing graffiti, and setting off smoke canisters in front of the campus police station.
BREAKING: We're back at the house of DHS Secretary Mayorkas, and we brought receipts.
In these 115 boxes are Trump's 115 ICE contracts, which the Biden administration promised to cancel. Instead Mayorkas has kept them in place, turning local police into extensions of ICE. pic.twitter.com/44o0Ay5GHy
— ✡️ Never Again Action ✡️ (@NeverAgainActn) December 6, 2021
- Anti-ICE protesters rallied outside of the home of DHS Secretary Mayorkas. Protesters dropped “115 boxes [of] Trump’s 115 ICE contracts, which the Biden administration promised to cancel. Instead Mayorkas has kept them in place, turning local police into extensions of ICE.”
Walk Outs by High School Students
Every single one of these kids is a fucking hero, and every single cop is a coward. I don’t have words for this except ACAB, youth lib now. https://t.co/0cdL6V8t0T
— Anti-Anti-Utopian 🖤🌻 (@RiotLinguist) November 20, 2021
- Students at Little Elm High School in Texas staged a walkout “in support of a fellow student who was a victim of harassment and sexual assault.” In response to the walkout, police responded with brutality, prompting further protests. Parents also pushed back against admin and police, with one parent stating at a meeting called in response to police brutality, “You have demonized our kids, demonized the sexual assault victims, allowed our children to be tased, manhandled, arrested and jailed.”
At the Pentacrest in Iowa City, students from multiple high schools walked out and met here to protest and bring attention to the racism in their schools, along with inaction from school officials. Over 100 students here right now. pic.twitter.com/XYVY9VpGmk
— Oliver 🏴🐇🐈⬛ (@Ollie_XVX) November 19, 2021
- In Iowa City, “Over 100 students participated in a protest on Friday afternoon, walking out of school as the final period began and meeting…to discuss racism within the district and what they consider the failure of schools and [the] administration to address it.”
Student walkout against sexual harassment sitting in protest in front of 555 Franklin. Our students are leading the way to demand the resources and accountability they demand. We support them. pic.twitter.com/AqRXSLZwH7
— UESF (@UESF) December 10, 2021
- In San Francisco, hundreds of students walked out in protest of sexual assault.
- Students at Tigard High School in Oregon also held a walkout in response to a racist video being shared on social media by a student.
Some Fellow Workers at our Wobbly Kitchen drove out to to the Kellogg's strike in Battle Creek to provide meals for the strikers of BCTGM Local G3! pic.twitter.com/MPpAGl0pis
— Detroit IWW GMB (@DetroitIWW) November 21, 2021
- In Detroit, wobblies mobilized to feed striking Kellogg’s workers. According to reports, strikes and boycotts are having a mass impact on the corporate giant.
Solidarity, Mutual Aid and Disaster Relief
Big thanks to all who joined us yesterday in raising our voices to #DefendRojava! We had great conversations with people, passed out a lot of information, and made plans for future organizing. Stay tuned for more actions to come, Seattle! … #RojavaMustSurvive@DefendRojava pic.twitter.com/G1p0tRSS6O
— Rojava and Kurdish Solidarity Seattle (@RojavaSeaSol) November 21, 2021
- In Seattle, people held a rally in solidarity with Rojava.
Heater Bloc had a productive day making the copper coil alcohol burners today. These are going out to Water Protectors and specific local camps this week.
— Heater Bloc (@HeaterBloc) November 27, 2021
- The Heater Bloc has produced a new DIY guide for how to make and distribute copper coil heat burners. Check out the guide, here.
The restraining order against the contractors has been lifted!‼️‼️THE ELDERS HAVE PUT OUT THE URGENT CALL FOR LAND PROTECTORS
These are the confirmed links to donate to. Pidamiya
Frontline Supplies Fund: https://t.co/NbzadsNlrF
— Bearcub (@Bearcubluv) December 14, 2021
- There is a renewed call to support the Newe’neen So’ka’pa Camp, which is resisting the forced removal of Native elders from the Winnemucca Indian Colony in so-called Nevada. For ways to donate and a wish list of supplies, go here.
— Mutual Aid Disaster Relief (@MutualAidRelief) December 12, 2021
- In the wake of massive tornadoes that left many dead across the Midwest, mutual aid groups are calling for donations and supplies. See how you can get involved or help, here.
- Monday, December 20st: A conversation with William C. Anderson around his new book The Nation on No Map: Black Anarchism and Abolition. 7pm. Register for online event here.
- Tuesday, December 21st: Writer and activist William C. Anderson shares his latest work, The Nation On No Map, in a live virtual conversation with feminist writer Robyn Maynard. Register for online event here. 7pm.
- December 31st: Call for NYE Noise Demonstrations outside of jails, prisons, and detention centers. See the call here.
- Saturday, January 8th: Los Angeles Anarchist Bookfair.
It’s Going Down
If you value IGD as a revolutionary autonomous media resource in times of crisis and have the means, please sign up to support us monthly! Help autonomous revolutionary media grow into 2021!
- Sign up to become a monthly supporter here!
- Give us a one time donation here or through Bitcoin.
- Subscribe to our podcast, either by following our RSS feed or following IGD wherever you get your podcasts!
- Listen to us on the radio! We’re on Pacifica radio stations on Fridays at 12 PM PST (Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, and Santa Cruz). On Saturday, 7pm, at 96.9 in Seattle. If you have a Pacifica station or community radio station in your area, encourage them to stream our show!
- Follow and share us on Twitter, Instagram, and Mastadon!
- Tell a friend about IGD and check out more content on the Channel Zero Anarchist Podcast Network!