Welcome, to This Is America, November 7th, 2018.
In this episode we’re switching things up, and presenting a conversation with Tom Nomad featuring an analysis on the midterms which offers an anarchist critique of electorialism as any sort of “progressive” strategy, a look at what the data from the midterms tells us in terms of the political Center attempting to re-solidify itself and suburban cracks in Trumpism starting to emerge, some possible scenarios for what Trump will do after firing Sessions, and more importantly, some ideas about what this actually does mean for the autonomous and anti-capitalist social movements and struggles.
But first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting
- There’s quite a few call-in campaigns with prison rebels. If you can, check out the last week or so of posts on IGD and make plans with friends to make calls together.
- Currently there is a call-in campaign to get neo-Nazi organizer Patrick Little kicked out of UC Berkeley family student housing and beyond. Little has called for the violent murder of all Jews and for them to be raised like “livestock.” More info here.
Bay Area calling for neo-Nazi leader who influenced #PittsburghShooting suspect on Gab to be removed from @UCBerkeley family housing, located next to middle school. Little called for “complete eradication of all Jews” and for them to be tortured to death. https://t.co/Rf26ofFy7v pic.twitter.com/eGV4oYr4XF
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) November 5, 2018
- Antifascists have set up an anti-anti-semitism fundraiser to raise funds for antifa putting in the good work outside of Zionist and far-Right groups like the ADL. Help them out here.
- Several fundraisers are making the rounds. Support the Sin Fin autonomous land project in Mexico City, stand with antiracists in Chapel Hill by buying one of these bad ass bandanas. Mexico fundraiser, and stand with Mexican anarchist comrade as they attempt to get kidney surgery.
- Comrades at Torchlight in Pittsburgh are keeping us updated on continued neo-Nazi and racist activist in the area following the massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue in a recent post. If you are in the area, be on the lookout for Patriot Front flyers to tear down and destroy, and better yet, put up your own stickers in their place.
Here's the recent @NoBordersMedia podcast on anti-racist strategy & tactics after the Bannon/Frum protest in Toronto, with frontline organizers @MayaLillianM, @rach_small & @colonizedmutant. Listen here: https://t.co/QavL55aUPO #TOpoli #cdnpoli #NoOneIsIllegal #NoBannonTO
— No Borders Media (@NoBordersMedia) November 6, 2018
- On November 2nd, people in Toronto confronted and protested against Steve Bannon. For an in-depth interview and analysis of the mobilization, check out No Borders Media.
- On November 3rd, a march took place in Flatbush, Brooklyn against gentrification and white supremacy, and ended in front of the store where “Cornerstore Caroline” accused a young black child of “touching her butt,” and proceeded to call the police. Video cameras clearly showed it was in fact the youth’s back pack that brushed against her.
— Ash J (@AshAgony) November 3, 2018
- In Seattle, Joey Gibson and crew were kicked out of a Mexico restaurant by the staff. One report on Twitter wrote: “Last night “Patriot Prayer” asshat Joey Gibson’s ugly face slithered into Neon Taco but was IMMEDIATELY recognized and booted by workers, all to chants of “NAZIS, GO HOME!” from the crowd.”
Joey Gibson went into the Nacho Borracho with the intention of getting 86'd. Notice in this video Joey tries to say he is being discriminated against because he is Muslim. I don't need to explain how ridiculous this claim is or the intentions behind the lie. pic.twitter.com/N0Twaq0p2o
— Official Alt-Left (@Kherman112) November 5, 2018
- On November 4th, a collection of MAGA muppets, militia members, Alt-Lite media makers and livestreamers, and full on white nationalists rallied across the west coast in what was referred to as “Red Tide,” rallies. The demonstrations however become more or less pink puddles, as in Sacramento only 60 people showed up, while an antifascist and antiracist counter demonstration chanted against them. In Tacoma, less than ten far-Right Trump supporters turned out against an antifascist demonstration of over 100. Finally in Los Angeles, California, far-Right Trump supporters devolved into almost a full on brawl as they accused each other of associating with the neo-Nazi group Rise Above Movement and Juan Beneitiz, a Colombian immigrant who is convinced he is a neo-Nazi skinhead.
— A Gentleman Named Grant (@grantruby) November 4, 2018
Resist Marxism rally in Sacramento is falling to pieces. One RMNJ was arrested for trying to rush across the street and no one is even really watching the speeches. The organizers are starting to panic. https://t.co/GOrucsYoWw
— Official Alt-Left (@Kherman112) November 4, 2018
The Red Wave rally in Los Angeles fell on hard times when the infamous Cuck Spartan faced off against the Hardcore American Patriot. Loving this unity, keep it up fellas. pic.twitter.com/RpqozfHkfY
— Official Alt-Left (@Kherman112) November 4, 2018
- In Southern California, members of the Revolutionary Abolitionist Movement (RAM) and supporters of the Kurdish struggle for autonomy rallied against Turkish repression.
— RAM – Inland Empire (@RevAbolitionIE) November 4, 2018
- In Tampa, Florida, members of the Yellowhammer Alternative organized autonomous disaster relief in the wake of a series of tornadoes.
Seminole communities in Tampa.
4 tornadoes touched down friday, injuring one and destroying numerous home's roofs and windows.
We distributed tarps and cleared debris and broken glass in an affected neighborhood.
These disasters are increasing.
In intensity and in frequency. pic.twitter.com/0USi5r9HUz
— The YA (Yellowhammer Alternative) (@TheYAorg) November 4, 2018
- On November 5th, anarchists and autonomous feminists again showed solidarity with Anna Chambers, holding banners and showing up in solidarity against rapist police in Brooklyn.
Just walked past this action in Downtown Brooklyn put to together by @macc_nyc in solidarity with #AnnaChambers, a Brooklyn teen who was raped while in NYPD custody. More on the case here: https://t.co/PAjrNNER1G #ACAB pic.twitter.com/vG4pSm1LPN
— Bigger Thomas Take 2 (@ComplxBlackness) November 5, 2018
- In Chapel Hill, North Carolina, people showed up in court to support of those still facing charges stemming from the collective removal of the Silent Sam statue.
— DSA MLM Wine Moms Caucus (@DSA_winemoms) November 6, 2018
- Meanwhile, as the Vaughn 17 trial continues, inmates are also launching a lawsuit which claims that prisoners were brutalized, tortured, and in some cases even sexually abused, when police breached the prison to retake it from the uprising in early 2017.
- In Washington DC a rally was held against Turkish aggression and bombing of Rojava.
TURKEY STOP BOMBING ROJAVA, TURKEY OUT OF SYRIA!
Protest in front of US State Department, Washington DC.
— Lacy MacAuley (@lacymacauley) November 5, 2018
- A rowdy protest was held in the Twin Cities in support of abortion access and reproductive health.
- On November 6th in Portland, people took to the streets against ICE.
— Abolish I.C.E PDX (@OccupyICEPDX) November 7, 2018
- Finally on November 7th people held a rally outside of Tucker Carlson’s house in Washington DC and protested him as the “new face of Bannonism” and for his connections to white nationalists. The account Smash Racism DC was quickly taken offline, however the video from DC Black Lives Matter is still up.
— BlackLivesMatter DC (@DMVBlackLives) November 7, 2018
That’s gonna do it for us today, we will see you soon!
- Ongoing: Support for the Vaughn 17 at trial. More info here.
- Ongoing: Mutual Aid Disaster Relief tour. More info here.
- Thursday, November, 8th: Antifascist Songcircle: Rosh Chodesh Krystalnacht, Brooklyn. More info here.
— Cascadia Defenders (@CascadiaFD) November 5, 2018
- Friday, November 9th – 12th: Tree-sit training camp to Save Ancient Mattole Forest. Northern California. More info here.
- Saturday, November, 10th: Counter-protest National Socialist Movement (NSM) at Arkansas State Capitol. More info here.
- Saturday, November 10th: #OutLiveThem antifascist mobilization in New York. More info here.
Saturday 11/10 #NYC will be in the streets in opposition to fascism, antisemitism, and ethnonationalism of any kind. Join us @ 1p.m. on 83rd and Lex.
— Outlive Them NYC Coalition (@outlivethemnyc) November 7, 2018
- Saturday, November 10th #OutLiveThem antifascist mobilization in Chapel Hill, NC. More info here.
- Tuesday, November, 13th: Protest white nationalist Katie Hopkins, 6 – 9 PM. University of Austin Texas. More info here.
The election is over, but our work has just begun
TPUSA is hosting white nationalist speaker Katie Hopkins on campus
Don’t give fascism a platform on campus—come out next Tuesday to shut it down
— Autonomous Student Network—Austin (@ASN_ATX) November 7, 2018
- November 16-18th: SOA Watch Border Encuentro. Called by School of the Americas Watch, this will be a mobilization against border imperialism. More information here.
- Saturday, November 17th, 11 AM, Washington Square Park. Come out to oppose the Proud Boys and other far-Right groups. More info here.
Join us November 17th, as one strong, fierce, community coming together to amplify the voices of survivors who break the silence and share their stories.#whyididntreport #metoo #believesurvivors #Blacklivesmatter #Wewillnotbeerased #shoutyourstory #popmob #alloutpdx pic.twitter.com/Oh0LBO5Vrr
— (Pop)ular (Mob)ilization (@PopMobPDX) November 7, 2018
- Saturday, November 17th, 1 PM. Stand with Survivor’s and Against Patriot Prayer. Portland, OR. More info here.
- Saturday, February 2nd: Antifascist Mobilization at Stone Mountain, Georgia. More info here.
It’s Going Down!
- Help us keep the lights on! Remember, we’re still trying to hit our fundraising goal by the end of the year. Donate here!
- We made a booklet/zine version of our text collaborative with our friends at CrimethInc., There Is No Migrant Crisis: Trump Turns the Army on the People. A great text to have copies of to hand out at events, demos, and on the street.