Filed under: Education, Featured, Interviews, Labor, Radio/Podcast, This is America
Welcome, to This Is America, December 12th, 2019.
On this episode, we are lucky enough to speak with two grad students involved in the growing wildcat strike that is demanding a cost of living adjustment on the University of California (UC) campus of Santa Cruz, located south of the bay area in Northern California.
We support UC Santa Cruz graduate students who are demanding a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) – @cola4all @bananaslums – Sign this solidarity statement: https://t.co/pb4hA5pkJt… #payusmoreUCSC #cola4all + Rally tomorrow at noon @UCLA_YRL? pic.twitter.com/vWbaib1Fqw
— UCLA Union Coalition (@uclaunionstrong) December 13, 2019
Grad students are demanding more money for their work in order to afford the cost of rising rents and everyday expenses. Students have threatened to not turn in grades at the end of the semester if their demands are not met and UC administrators are threatening possible retaliation. We discuss the growing struggle, the influence of the student occupation movement in 2009-2010, and what this fight means in the context of increasing revolt against austerity across the world.
UC Santa Cruz graduate workers are on their 2nd day of a wild cat strike demanding a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA).
They, undergrads, and other worker supporters are rallying right now.
Our estimate is 200+ present.
“Cops off campus, COLA in our bank accounts!” pic.twitter.com/RIQhbdlkDl
— Black Rose – Bay Area (@bayareabrrn) December 10, 2019
We then dive into a deep discussion on the continuing Trump impeachment crisis and what the Democrats bringing articles of impeachment against Trump means for the rest of us.
- December 4th – 17th: CrimethInc. west coast tour! More info.
- December 14th: Humboldt Anarchist Bookfair. More info.
- December 14th – 15th: Hackers Next Door Conference. Radical security and privacy. NYC. More info.
- December 21st: 1st ever Really Really Free Market in Phoenix, Arizona. More info.
- December 24th: Call for fare strike in Philadelphia. More info.
- December 31st: New Year’s Eve Noise Demonstrations. All over! More info. Announced so far is:
New York, NY: More info.
Alexandria, VA: In solidarity with Jeremy Hammond and Chelsea Manning. More info.
Montreal, QC: More info.
Tacoma, WA: Outside Northwest Detention Center. More info.
- January 9th: Confront La Migra Where They Live. Colorado Springs, CO. More info.
- April 9th – 12th: Conference on Jewish Anarchism in Chicago. More info.
- April 25th: Bay Area Anarchist Bookfair. Oakland, CA. More info.