Filed under: Featured, Interviews, Radio/Podcast, This is America, US
Correction: Recording states that antifascist mobilization in DC is on July 12th when in fact it is on July 6th. Sorry for any mix-up. We are correcting this error on our calendars now.
Welcome, to This Is America, June 17th, 2019.
We have an amazing jam-packed show for you today.
First, we speak with someone on the ground who speaks on the recent uprising that kicked off in the North Memphis neighborhood of Frayser in response to the police murder of Brandon Webber. We discuss the context of the uprising in terms of local organizing, attempts to gentrify the area, and decades of endemic poverty and police violence.
— It's Going Down (@IGD_News) June 13, 2019
We then speak with folks were were present at PRIDE celebrations in Detroit, Michigan where members of the neo-Nazi group the National Socialist Movement worked with the police to physically and verbally attack members of the public. Our guests discuss police and fascist collusion, how event organizers knew that neo-Nazis were coming but refused to do anything other than look to the police for protection, and also how antifascists were able to mobilize the crowd to push out the Nazis and in doing so, won the respect of many.
This is footage from the body cam of one of the Nazis who marched at Detroit Pride. I love how his body cam clearly shows him assaulting me, while threatening ME that I'm on camera, LOL. Feel free to share, maybe some good can come from this.
由 Jessica Prozinski 发布于 2019年6月12日周三
Lastly, we switch gears and discuss the headlines, growing insurgent protests in Hong Kong and respond to listener feedback.
All this and more, but first, let’s get to the news!
Living and Fighting:
- This past week saw both Running Down the Walls events as well as June 11th, a day in solidarity with long-term anarchist prisoners. Events happened across the US and the world, and you can read some report backs here. If you still want to donate, give to the Anarchist Black Cross Warchest here and the Anarchist Prisoner War Fund here.
Minneapolis to Bandung, the Whole World Hates the Police!
Solidarity with those facing repression from May Day in Indonesia. pic.twitter.com/ayutfmnLPH
— Conflict Minnesota (@conflictMN) June 13, 2019
- Also in some great news, in Tuscon, Arizona a mistrial was declared in the case of Dr. Scott Warren of No More Deaths, a the jury was unable to come to a decision on the case. Warren was targeted by border patrol for his work with No More Deaths and it is believed he was arrested in retaliation for the group releasing footage of officers destroying water and other humanitarian aid supplies in an area of the desert known for a high amount of migrant deaths.
— Sudanese Translators for Change STC (@SudaneseTc) June 14, 2019
- In the Vaughn17 case, charges have been completely dropped for the remaining inmates accused of participating in a prison uprising that led to the death of one prison guard.
- In Indiana, thanks to the investigative work of antifascists, two white nationalists associated with Identity Evropa/American Identity Movement who sell produce at local farmers markets have been outed to their communities and active boycott campaigns are in place.
ALERTA EUGENE! Christopher Alan Kilgore was spotted painting dozens of swastikas near Monroe Park & 8th Ave in Eugene. We wrote about Chris and Stephany near the end of 2018. They are living in the house formerly occupied by the “Weed Nazi” Bethany Sherman & Matt Combs. #weednazi pic.twitter.com/y0THMzcERU
— EUG161 (@161EUG) June 13, 2019
- In Oregon, Eugene Antifa had IDed local neo-Nazis who have been taking down anti-ICE flyers and putting spray painted swastikas in their place.
- In New York, tenants disrupted a forum put on by a luxury condo real estate developer.
Tonight tenants from Ridgewood and Bushwick took over a community forum hosted by @ReynosoBrooklyn as real estate developer Avery Hall Investments presented plans for a new luxury tower. Tenants came with a clear message: "YOUR LUXURY DEVELOPMENT IS OUR DISPLACEMENT" pic.twitter.com/TuQnZ1DdWm
— Ryan Roco (@ryanroco) June 12, 2019
- In Salinas, California, hundreds of workers at a food distribution center walked off the job in a wildcat strike, angry that after 6 months of contract negotiations, conditions inside the warehouse have still not changed.
- IWW members disrupted an Evergreen Board of Trustees meeting.
- In Vancouver, people took to the streets against attacks on homeless and lack of access to affordable housing.
- Lastly, flyers were distributed in a Chicago neighborhood known as a stomping ground for Richard Spencer and his girlfriend, Megan Bobonick.
Spread the Solidarity:
- Shirts are back in stock benefiting autonomous organizing on the border. Order a shirt here.
- Long-time OG anarchist and former Black Panther Lorenzo Ervin is in need of medical care. Please help him out here.
- Long time indigenous political prisoner Oso Blanco is calling for help in gathering supplies to carry out sweat ceremonies on the inside. For ways to help, go here.
- Signatures are needed for Chuck Africa, one of the MOVE 9, who has been up for parole since 2008. To help, go here.
- June 12th – 19th: Save the Mattole Direct Action Convergence in Northern California. More info here.
- June 14th-17th: Fight Toxic Prisons conference. Gainesville, Florida. More info here.
- June 15th – 23rd: Wild Roots, Feral Futures in Southwest Colorado. More info here.
- June 17th-18th: Call to stop deportations in Chicago. More info here.
- June 19th: Mobilize against Nationalist Solutions conference. More info here.
- June 22nd: Protest against migrant child prisons in Chicago. More info here.
- June 23rd: Running Down the Walls event in Hamilton, Ontario. More info here.
- June 23rd-29th: Call for a week of action against 287(g). More info here.
- June 29th: Call for antifascist mobilization against the Proud Boys in Portland. More info here.
- June 29th – 30th: Southern Regional Organizing Assembly of the IWW in Richmond, VA. More info here.
- July 6th: Mobilization in DC against Alt-Right rally. More info here.
- July 27th-28th: Anarcho-punk festival in Berkeley at the Gilman featuring workshops, bands, and speakers. More info here.
- August 3rd-11th: Institute for Advanced Trouble Making in Worcester, MA. More info here.
- August 16th-18th: Indigenous Anarchist Convergence in so-called Flagstaff, Arizona. More info here.
- September 28th: Toronto (ON) Anarchist Bookfair. More info here.